Thursday, March 4, 2010

fear blog

When I was a young lad of around 7 years old, I experienced one of the greatest fears of my life. It all started with my mother tucking me into bed and kissing me goodnight. She told me she loved me and I responded with the same. Then, she said, “Goodnight” and closed my door. As my mind wander aimlessly through out the darkness of my room, I heard the squeak of a door. I now noticed a crack of light stretched across my room and shattered the darkness with in it. A figure stood in doorway; it was my mother again. She tiptoed over to my bed to whisper one last thing into my ear. My mother told me that she was leaving tonight for a boat trip and was going to be gone for a long time. As before, she kissed me on the forehead and left me in the room alone. Disgusted with the thought of having to be with out my mother for multiple days, tears began to run down my face. Darkness surrounded me and I was now a rain cloud, pouring tears down onto my bed. After an hour or so I decided enough is enough, I need my mother and I can’t let her go on this trip. Proceeding to create a plan, I decided to take the $5.00 I had left from my birthday, and I would go down to the bus stop. From there I would take the bus down to the dock and stop my mother before she got onto the boat. Stumbling down the stairs, I tried to keep quiet as to not wake any of my other family members and lead them on to my secret mission. As I stepped out my door and closed it behind me, I realized I was already on the ship dock. I didn’t know how this was possible, but I didn’t think much of it after I saw my mother waiting in line for the boat. I raced for the end of the dock as fast as my little legs could carry me. I also screamed her name at the top of my lungs, so that she might notice me. For a second time something out of the ordinary occurred; to me it seemed as though the faster I sprinted, the farther away I was from the end of the dock, and the louder I screamed, the quieter I sounded. It took hours to get to the end of the dock, where the ship was tied off. When I finally arrived at my destination, I was far too late. The ship I had set out to stop was now a tiny spec on the horizon of the ocean. Again I was a human rain cloud as the tears dripped from my soggy eyes. All of a sudden a piercing light blinded me…

The covers of my bed gripped me as though they would never let go. The sun shimmered through the window as a sign that it was morning. Everything was okay; it was just a dream.

I think if I had to relate this story to one of the characters in William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, I would say it would be one of the younger kids or “littuns.” Throughout the book the littuns are mainly confused about the situation, as so was I in my situation. Also during the book many of the littuns were home sick, which would mean they miss their families and what not, also much like my situation. Another character I sort of relate to is Simon. In the book Simon cannot control everything his body does, for example his seizures. In my situation, my dreams taunt with my mind, playing tricks on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment